Temperature will affect many products in our daily life, such as plastic, wood, rubber, glass and other products. Many users will have questions. Does temperature affect acrylic products? Sanait Co Ltd will give you a detailed answer.
The performance of acrylic (especially physical and mechanical properties) shows a strong dependence on temperature. The effect of temperature on the performance of acrylic tubes is mainly reflected in five aspects, namely tensile strength and tensile elastic modulus, impact strength, and elongation. Properties, hardness and Poisson’s ratio.
(1) Effect of temperature on acrylic tensile strength and tensile elastic modulus: As temperature increases, tensile strength and tensile elastic modulus decrease approximately linearly. The reason is that as the temperature increases, the mobility of the polymer material segment increases, and a transition from a glassy state to a highly elastic state and a viscous fluid state gradually occurs. Macroscopically, the flexibility increases, and the strength and elastic modulus decrease.
(2) The effect of temperature on the elongation of acrylic: As the temperature increases, the elongation at break of acrylic when brittle fracture occurs gradually increases, and the elongation at break of acrylic reaches 5.6% at 60 ° C. When it exceeds a certain temperature, Acrylic began to soften, and yield failure occurred during stretching. Relationship between temperature and acrylic elongation at break and yield.
(3) the influence of temperature and other factors on the hardness of acrylic: the hardness of acrylic decreases with increasing temperature. In addition, the larger the load value used in measuring the hardness, the lower the measured hardness value. Within a certain range, the greater the thickness of the acrylic sheet, the higher the measured value; but when the thickness is increased to a certain extent, the measured hardness value no longer significantly increases.
(4) The effect of temperature on the impact strength of acrylic with different thickness: The temperature also has a similar effect on the impact performance of acrylic. As the temperature rises, the movement of the acrylic molecular segment strengthens, showing macroscopically increased flexibility and increased impact strength.
(5) The influence of temperature on the acrylic Poisson’s ratio: The temperature also has a certain effect on the Poisson’s ratio of acrylic. The higher the temperature, the larger the Poisson’s ratio.
Acrylic products are widely used for their advantages of high transparency, low price, and easy machining. Acrylic products have become the main substitutes for ordinary glass products.